- 1935-1945 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
4 boxes of negatives
2 boxes of slides
1 box of research materials (Addendum)
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
- German Archaeological Institute (Deutsches Archäologisches Institut), Istanbul, Turkey
- Robert College Archives, Robert College, Istanbul, Turkey
- Robert College Records, 1858-1986, Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Columbia University, New York, NY
- The National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), St. Louis, MO
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
At Dumbarton Oaks:
- Robert L. Van Nice Records and Fieldwork Papers, ca. 1936-1989, MS.BZ.012. Image Collections and Fieldwork Archives. Contact sheets and lantern glass slides attributed to Van Nice are likely by Artamonoff.
- Architecture, Black and White Photograph Collection. Image Collections and Fieldwork Archives. http://www.doaks.org/library-archives/icfa/icfa_pdfs/doaks-icfa-byz-architecture.pdf.
At other institutions:
- Myron Bement Smith collection, ca. 1910-1970, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C. http://www.asia.si.edu/archives/finding_aids/smith.html.
- Robert College Records, 1858-1986, Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Columbia University, New York, NY. http://findingaids.cul.columbia.edu/ead/nnc-rb/ldpd_6607719/summary.
Alyssa DesRochers and Günder Varinlioğlu. “Through the Lens: Nicholas V. Artamonoff and his 25 Years at Robert College,” Robert College Quarterly 41 (2011): 42-43.
Image Collections and Fieldwork Archives Staff. Blog posts related to Nicholas Artamonoff. ICFA: A blog from the Image Collections and Fieldwork Archives, Dumbarton Oaks Research Library and Collection, Washington, D.C., 2011-. (http://icfadumbartonoaks.wordpress.com/category/nicholas-artamonoff/).
Matthew McClellan, "Snapshots of the past: Amateur photographer documented fading Byzantine ruins," Harvard Gazette (January 17, 2012). (http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2012/01/snapshots-of-the-past/).
Günder Varinlioğlu, ed. Artamonoff: Picturing Byzantine Istanbul, 1930-1947. (Istanbul: Koç University Press, 2013). Exhibition of the same name held June 26-November 10, 2013 at Koç University Research Center for Anatolian Civilizations, Istanbul, Turkey, Günder Varinlioğlu, curator. (http://rcac.ku.edu.tr/exhibitions/artamonoff).
Subject access points
Name access points
- Artamonoff, Nicholas V. (Creator)