@Dumbarton Oaks

Showing 137 results Collections

Image Collections and Fieldwork Archives (2007-Present)

107 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Apse brickwork

  • MS.BZ.012-02-03-02-285e-002-001
  • Image
  • 1960 - 1985

Van Nice, Robert L.

Architecture

  • US DcWaDIC PH.BZ.001-01
  • Series

The collection includes images from sites in the following countries: Albania, Algeria, Armenia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Egypt, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Israel, Italy, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Macedonia, Montenegro, Romania, Russia, Ser...

Arthur Kingsley Porter Photographs of Architecture and Manuscripts, 1980s

  • PH.BZ.007
  • Collection
  • 1980 - 1989

Selections from Porter's photograph collection at Harvard that Porter took and compiled in the early 20th century. These duplicate photographs depict Byzantine and Medieval architecture, wall paintings, and sculpture from Egypt, France, Greece, Is...

Porter, Arthur Kingsley

Black and White Mounted Photograph Collection

  • PH.BZ.001
  • Collection

The collection includes over 75,000 mounted black and white photographic prints of Byzantine art, architecture, and archaeology, its bulk being from the fourth through the fifteenth century, along with corresponding negatives where available. The ...

Dumbarton Oaks

Church of Panagia Kanakaria, Structure

  • US DcWaDIC MS.BZ.004-03-01-20-002
  • Work
  • 400 - 499

The church was most likely constructed in the late 5th century. Significant restorations occurred around the 7th and 12th centuries, as well as around 1500.

Church of Panagia tou Arakos, Exterior

  • US DcWaDIC MS.BZ.004-03-01-15-001
  • Work
  • 1100 - 1192

The church building is thought to have existed prior to 1192, the date ascribed to the first cycle of wall paintings. Possibly dated from the middle of the twelfth century. A narthex extension took place in the seventeenth century.

Dome cornice lip

  • MS.BZ.012-02-03-02-285e-002-003
  • Image
  • 1960 - 1985

Van Nice, Robert L.

Dome cornice lip

  • MS.BZ.012-02-03-02-285e-002-004
  • Image
  • 1960 - 1985

Van Nice, Robert L.

Dome cornice lip

  • MS.BZ.012-02-03-02-285e-002-002
  • Image
  • 1960 - 1985

Van Nice, Robert L.

Dumbarton Oaks Research Archive, ca. 1940s

  • MS.BZ.018
  • Collection

In the academic year of 1941-1942, Dumbarton Oaks initiated two research projects (or a research program)—"Fontes" and "Archives of Byzantine Art" (also known as "Archives" or "Research Archives")—that was initially supervised by Wilhelm Koehler (...

Friend, Albert Mathias, Jr.

Edward Eliopoulos Photographs of Mani, Greece, 1958-1980

  • PH.BZ.019
  • Collection
  • 1958 - 1980

The collection comprises 199 photographic prints by Edward Eliopoulos documenting Byzantine churches in Mani, Greece. Eliopoulos produced black and white photographs and color slides during his frequent visits to Mani between 1958 and 1980. Includ...

Eliopoulos, Edward

Episcopal Basilica Complex at Kourion, Baptistery

  • US DcWaDIC MS.BZ.004-03-01-24-003
  • Work
  • 400 - 599

The foundation of the episcopal construction is attributed to Bishop Zeno in the early 5th century. Building materials from the previous structures of ancient Kourion were reused. Renovations occurred in the 6th century.

Episcopal Basilica Complex at Kourion, Basilica

  • US DcWaDIC MS.BZ.004-03-01-24-002
  • Work
  • 400 - 599

The foundation of the episcopal construction is attributed to Bishop Zeno in the early 5th century. Building materials from the previous structures of ancient Kourion were reused. Renovations occurred in the 6th century.

Episcopal Basilica Complex at Kourion, Bishop's Palace

  • US DcWaDIC MS.BZ.004-03-01-24-004
  • Work
  • 400 - 599

The foundation of the episcopal construction is attributed to Bishop Zeno in the early 5th century. Building materials from the previous structures of ancient Kourion were reused. Renovations occurred in the 6th century.

Episcopal Precinct at Kourion

  • US DcWaDIC MS.BZ.004-03-01-24-001
  • Work
  • 400 - 599

The foundation of the episcopal construction is attributed to Bishop Zeno in the early 5th century. Building materials from the previous structures of ancient Kourion were reused. Renovations occurred in the 6th century.

Monastery of Saint Anthony, Church of Saint Anthony

  • US DcWaDIC MS.BZ.004-03-01-01-002
  • Work
  • 500 - 1299

In the sixth or seventh century, or even earlier, the chapel, annex, and room west of the annex formed a single structure. By the end of the eighth century the chapel contained a painted arch. The main cycle of murals was executed in two stages in...

Results 1 to 100 of 137