Tipo di entità
Forma autorizzata del nome
Friend, Albert Mathias, Jr.
Forme parallele del nome
Forme normalizzate del nome in conformità ad altre regole
Altre forme del nome
- Friend, Albert M., Jr.
- Friend, Albert
- Albert Friend
- Albert Mathias Friend, Jr.
- Albert Mathias Friend
Codice identificativo dell'ente
Area della descrizione
Date di esistenza
Albert M. Friend, Jr., was born in 1894 and died on March 23, 1956, in New Jersey. He attended Princeton University as an undergraduate in 1911 and as a graduate student in 1915. During the First World War, Friend served with the American Expeditionary Force in France in 1918. After his war service, he went back to Princeton University to continue his graduate studies. In 1921, Friend was appointed instructor, and in 1946 a professor in the Department of Art and Archaeology, succeeding Charles Rufus Morey as Marquand Professor of Art and Archaeology. At Dumbarton Oaks, he was appointed Senior Scholar in Residence (also known as the Henri Focillon Scholar) and was in charge of the research program ("Fontes" and "Archives of Byzantine Art," also known as "Archives" or "Research Archives") starting in the academic year of 1944-1945. In the same academic year, he initiated a project to reconstruct or visualize the lost church of the Holy Apostles in Constantinople. In this endeavor, he was joined by Paul Underwood and Glanville Downey. During the 1948 Dumbarton Oaks symposium, “The Church of the Holy Apostles at Constantinople,” he presented a paper entitled “The Mosaics of Basil I in the Holy Apostles, Parts I and II.” Friend’s other appointments in Dumbarton Oaks include: Chairman of the Board of Scholars (1946-1947) and Henri Focillon Visiting Scholar in Charge of Research (1947-1948). He was also the first Director of Studies from 1948 to 1954.
Funzioni, occupazioni, attività
Area delle relazioni
Area del controllo
Codice identificativo della descrizione
US LCNAF no2013073453
Codice identificativo dell'istitituto conservatore
Norme e convenzioni utilizzate
ISAAR (CPF): International Standard Archival Authority Record for Corporate Bodies, Persons and Families
Livello di completezza
Date di creazione, revisione, cancellazione
This AtoM record was:
- created by Beth Bayley on October 26, 2012
- revised by Rona Razon on April 30, 2015
- LCNAF: http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/no2013073453
- Dumbarton Oaks Research Library and Collection, Reports (1957-1958, 1958-1959)
- Albert Mathias Friend Papers, 1913-1955, Princeton University: http://findingaids.princeton.edu/getEad?eadid=C0924&kw=
- Albert Mathias Friend, Jr. Papers, Dumbarton Oaks Archives, Dumbarton Oaks, Trustees for Harvard University, Washington, DC: http://www.doaks.org/library-archives/dumbarton-oaks-archives/historical-papers/albert-mathias-friend-jr-papers
- Friend, Albert M[athias], Jr., Dictionary of Art Historians: http://www.dictionaryofarthistorians.org/frienda.htm