- 1940s-1980s (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Art historian specializing in Byzantine, early Christian, and early medieval art. He received his PhD from the University of Munich in 1934, under the direction of Wilhelm Pinder. Between 1941-1944, he was a Junior Fellow at Dumbarton Oaks, where he worked on the project called "Archives of Byzantine Art" or in short "Archives"; he was assigned the regional group of the Balkans.
During his tenure as an Assistant Professor of Byzantine Art and Archaeology at Dumbarton Oaks, Kitzinger was awarded a Fulbright Scholarship in 1949, which he used to conduct a survey of Norman mosaics in Sicily. He published prolifically on the subject, particularly on the mosaics at the Capella Palatina and Martorana in Palermo and the churches in Monreale and Cefalù. From 1955-1966, Kitzinger served as Director of Byzantine Studies at Dumbarton Oaks. In 1967, he was appointed the first Arthur Kingsley Porter Professor at Harvard University, where he remained until his retirement in 1979.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
At Dumbarton Oaks:
- Ernst Kitzinger Papers, Dumbarton Oaks Archives. http://www.doaks.org/library-archives/dumbarton-oaks-archives/historical-papers.
At other institutions:
- Ernst Kitzinger collection of lantern slides, ca. 1897-ca. 1953. VSCO 154. Fine Arts Library, Harvard University. Cambridge, MA. http://id.lib.harvard.edu/aleph/010244256/catalog.
- Ernst Kitzinger papers, 1931-1995. 970036. Special Collections and Visual Resources, Research Library, The Getty Research Institute. Los Angeles, CA. http://archives2.getty.edu:8082/xtf/view?docId=ead/970036/970036.xml.
- Papers of Ernst Kitzinger, 1942-1967. HUGFP 41.xx. Harvard University Archives, Harvard University. Cambridge, MA. http://id.lib.harvard.edu/aleph/000604831/catalog.
Ernst Kitzinger. Mosaics of Monreale. Palermo: S.F. Flaccovio, 1960.
Ernst Kitzinger. Mosaics of St. Mary’s of the Admiral in Palermo. Washington, D.C. : Dumbarton Oaks Research Library and Collection, 1991.
Ernst Kitzinger. I mosaici del periodo normanno in Sicilia. Palermo: Accademia nazionale di scienze, lettere e arti di Palermo, 1992-. 6 fasc.
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Kitzinger, Ernst (Creator)