US DcWaDIC PH.GL.001
British Gardens Aerial Photographs Collection, ca. 1900s-1980s
- ca. 1900s-1980s (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
15 boxes of black and white aerial photographs
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
The source of this collection is unknown. However, some photographs have labels that indicate that the original negatives are from the Cambridge University Aerial Photography Committee, the Courtauld Institute, the National Monuments Record, and the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Contains aerial photographs of historic estates and gardens in the United Kingdom (England, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales). The vast majority of the material relates to English sites with some coverage of Scotland, but minimal representation for Ireland and Wales.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Photographs are organized by location - region (England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales), county, and estate - filed alphabetically within each grouping.
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Access to the collection is unrestricted. It is available for research purposes. Appointment is required for access because researcher space is limited: http://www.doaks.org/icfa-appointment-request-form. For research queries, contact the staff of Image Collections and Fieldwork Archives (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Conditions governing reproduction
Photographs are for research and study purposes only. Since the source of the images has not been determined, their copyright status is also unknown.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
A draft inventory is available: http://www.doaks.org/library-archives/icfa/britishgardens-inventory.pdf
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
- Cambridge University Collection of Aerial Photography, Department of Geography, University of Cambridge: http://www.geog.cam.ac.uk/cucap/
- The Courtauld Institute of Art, Image Libraries: http://www.courtauld.ac.uk/research/photographic/index.shtml
- The National Collection of Aerial Photography, Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland: http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/what-we-hold/the-national-collection-of-aerial-photography.
- National Library of Aerial Photographs, Archive Collections, English Heritage: http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/professional/archives-and-collections/nmr/archives/.
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Name access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Describing Archives: A Content Standard (DACS)
Level of detail
Preferred Citation: British Gardens Aerial Photographs Study Collection, PH.GL.001, Image Collections and Fieldwork Archives, Dumbarton Oaks, Trustees for Harvard University, Washington, D.C.
Photographs are for research and study purposes only.
Copyright status date
Digital object metadata
October 21, 2016 1:10 PM